You Cannot Win

(Fire in the Forest by William McCullagh)

With a title and painting like this, you as the reader clearly know this isn't going to be a happy feel good post. Well, I'm afraid you are right. Now before we go any further I want you, the reader, to raise up your right hand and repeat after me. I am a human being, I am not perfect. I have the freedom of speech. I should not judge someone, as someone should not judge me. Very good!

So lately I have been coming more tired with Facebook. All the cute happy photos of weddings and baby photos are starting to show up less and less on my news feed as once again, another social issue has shadowed over our nation. Something that I clearly would not want to talk about, because there are so many issues that came about before this one, and I know that more issues will come after. Transgender bathroom issue. No! Wait! This isn't my view on that topic! I know so many have already stated their opinion on this matter that I know you did not come to my blog to just read another subjective opinion that will not affect me directly. No, this is not my issue to this whole debacle. This situation is relevant, but more of a temporary issue, If you don't know what I am talking about, just google, transgender and bathroom. This is just another controversial topic that has everyone up at arms. Now don't get mad at me just yet. Look, I know this does cause an issue, and people may feel threatened, or oppressed due to this matter. My issue with all of this is how we are voicing our opinions on the matter. If you feel that transgender should use the restroom they want, then sex offenders will attack your children. If you think they shouldn't then you are a hateful bigot that can't let "love win" or something in that nature. Who is right? Who is wrong? Well, what will you do about it? I think that is the point I am trying to relay in this post. I don't see a lot of people actually doing anything except ripping anyone with an opposing view that does not agree with them. As if the person that disagrees with you is beneath you on a specific opinion. I feel that Facebook has slowly become a place to voice your opinion (good), follow by expressing hateful words if some disagrees (bad). I mean what have we become that we let other people's view bring us down? Bring back the baby photos. I rather see that then what terrible things I am reading about when viewing people's discussion on this matter. Please do not think I am trying to silence freedom of speech. I welcome anyone with an opinion, but what good is the freedom of speech if that speech is only purpose is to hurt someone? Calling someone a "hateful b****", "idiot", "freak", is not really expressing the perks of freedom of speech now is it? 

The bitter side of all of this is that I expected more from both ends of the spectrum. As we all remember the "chickfila fiasco"  where the CEO expressed that he did not feel that two people of the same gender should marry. People were up at arms blasting so much hate to him, his family, and to his company. So much hatred for someone's opinion. Don't worry, the coin was the same on the other side. Oreo posted a picture to Facebook promoting that they supported same sex marriage. I remember people expressing so much hatred for that company expressing their opinion as well. This gets to a point, where we really should ask what is to come to all this hateful, name calling, comments? We are so adamant to spout hateful words towards each other because we can hide behind our computers. Why? I think we can feel that this is a since of power. I mean how sweet does it sound that you can say whatever you want and not have any severe consequences. I mean, I get it. I know we all want to express our speech, but don't think you can change someone with using hatred. 

So why is this blog post titled, "you can't win"? You want people to change, yet you are non-budging to any different perspective. I'm not saying you should bend your morals or beliefs, but just assuming anyone is wrong when they don't agreeing with you is just hurting yourself. Have you ever read someone's hateful words and just thought, "hmmm wow that person seems pretty hateful, I'll agree with them". No, of course not, why should you? Why would anyone want to follow someone who posts such hate? I promote people with strong opinions. I love people fighting for something, but when your fight is to silents others instead of expressing your own thoughts than what good are you doing to the society you live in? 

As I type this post, I know this whole bathroom dilemma is just dying off and going into the irrelevance as all the others debate as before. All I want in this post is for people to start presenting their opinion in a non-hostel statement that doesn't make the assumption that other people are beneath them because of one issue. One day I was small chatting with some of my co workers at my new job, and the topic of me working at hobby lobby came up in the conversation. One of my co-workers began to express her opinion how she would not shop at hobby lobby anymore because of the plan b debate with the supreme court (google if you don't know what this is). I just shrugged my shoulders and told her that was her own opinion, and then we moved on with our talk. Why should I judge someone's character for one opinion, on one topic, on one company, that was settled two years ago? What is the point of all of this? Like I have said before, please do not hesitate to express your opinions, but trying to bring someone down will only hurt someone and won't change anything. If you want real change then maybe we should actually leave the computer and make the change we want to see. I know I have no room to talk since I am posting my opinion, but I'm not trying to hurt anyone. If a company does something you disagree with, then don't go. I know this may upset you, but they are expressing just as much freedom as you are when posting on your status. I'm sorry this post is a giant rant, but we are suppose to love people. Backing up your opinion with evidence instead of hatred can really change people's thoughts on what is happening in our communities. I know this is a bit harsh, but maybe I just hold the human race to a higher standard on how we should treat each other. You catch more honey with bees than vinegar. 

Thanks again for reading! I hope you have a wonderful day and a great summer.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Willy Wonka and the Seven Deadly Sins

My Analysis on 13 Reasons Why pt.1

Dear Elizabeth