Dear Elizabeth pt. 9

(Maria by Kees Van Dongen)

August 20th 2014
Dear Elizabeth,

Well this is the final letter Elizabeth. Never heard from you, so I guess you don't want me to meet Sophie. I just hope that she is doing okay. I'm sorry. This letter is the last resort to save my marriage.I think that it is time for me to get out of this fantasy that you and I will be together. It has been fifteen years since I lost you and I just don't think I ever really knew how to accept it. I just hope you and Sophie are doing good in France. I'm sorry. I know I'm not going to send this letter like all the other letters I have wrote to you. I know Sophie doesn't exist. I know that you never married Samuel. I know you never went to France. I know you never went to college. I know the truth Elizabeth. I know that bitter truth. That bitter truth that you took your life the summer before college. You just had so much in your life. You had a good family, full rides to colleges, and me, who loved you so much. I wish I knew what was wrong. I couldn't accept that you were gone forever. I painted that painting of you to remember you. I know your parents blamed me, and that was why they left the church. The therapist  all those years ago just wanted me to role play writing letters, and I took it too far making a full story that we couldn't be together. I couldn't take responsibility for losing you, so I made this entire story that you ran away to France met a good man, and had our daughter that we always talked about when we were young. I know it was all fake. I know my mind was fighting to break this delusion. I know I put that note next to me in that hotel room. The note read "this never happened", not because you didn't want people to know, but to help me realize that you weren't in France. I understood why Cindy didn't believe me, because she knew that you were dead. She knew that I wasn't sleeping and claiming that we had a child together, she knew it was because her and I couldn't have a baby, so I made some fake story that I was a father with to your child. Why am I even still talking to you? You're not here Elizabeth. You left me. I was only eighteen and you were only sixteen. What was so bad that you had to commit suicide. Did you ever think that you would destroy my life for over a decade? I loved you so much Elizabeth and I wanted to marry you, I wanted to have children with you, I wanted to grow old with you. Why couldn't you seek help? I won't let my delusions ruin my marriage with Cindy. She made a promise that if I could write this letter, that we could look into adoption. I could be a father to someone. I could actually be a real father. No more Elizabeth. I have been delusional for too long, and I can finally accept that you are gone. So I guess this is the last letter to you. I couldn't live this type of life anymore. I was living a complete lie. I created this completely fictional reality that never existed. I love you Elizabeth, but I think this is the time in my life where I finally let you go for good. I'm ready to live the life I know you wanted me to live. 

Goodbye,
Ben  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Willy Wonka and the Seven Deadly Sins

My Analysis on 13 Reasons Why pt.1

Dear Elizabeth